DESIGNED BY Pam Daiey
SIZE AND FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
To fit 1-4 years: 1 1/2"/4 cm wide and 16"/40.5 cm circumference, relaxed
Red Heart Anne Geddes Baby, 80% acrylic/20% nylon, 340 yds (310 m)/3.5 oz (100 g), Color 702 Rosie
US G/6 (4 mm) or size needed to obtain correct gauge
23 stitches and 24 rows = 4"/10 cm in back loop slip stitch
Yarn needle, button or other embellishment of choice for decoration
CROCHETING THE HEADBAND
• Row 1 (WS): Fsc 10, turn. You now have 10 sc.
• Rows 2-5: Ch 1, BL slip st in each st across, turn.
• Row 6 (RS): Ch 1, BL slip st in first 4 sts, esc in next st (counts as first fsc), fsc 9, BL slip st in remaining 5 sts, turn. You now have I loop and 9 slip sts.
• Row 7: Ch 1, BL slip st in first 3 sts, working in front of fsc loop from previous row, ch 4, skip next 4 sts, slip st in last 3 sts, turn. You now have 6 slip sts and 4 ch.
• Rows 8 and 9: Ch 1. BL slip st in each st across, turn. You now have 10 slip sts.
• Repeat Rows 6-9 until 19 loops have been completed (approximately 16"/40.5 cm, or to desired length).
Note: The headband is very stretchy: plan for at least 2"/5 cm of negative ease. Fasten off, leaving a long sewing length.
• Using the yarn tail and yarn needle, match the sts from the first and last rows and sew the headband together. Weave in ends.
• To make the braid, pull the 2nd loop through the first loop, then the 3rd loop through the 2nd loop; continue to the end of the headband. Sew the button at the base of the first cable loop; hook the last cable loop made over the button. (Alternatively, tack the cable loop down and sew the button over it.)